I know that pre packaged sauces can be super convenient. That being said, honey garlic sauce is so easy to make and has such a short and simple list of common pantry ingredients that it makes going out to buy a jar of sauce more work than mixing it up 🙂
Time: prep 5 min, bake 1 hour
Makes: 4 chicken thighs + extra sauce
You will need:
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup sodium reduced soy sauce*
- 3 cloves of garlic – pressed or minced
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds (if desired)**
- 1 chili pepper minced (if desired) I usually use a thai red chili pepper, though a regular chili pepper or 1/2 tsp of chili flakes also works
- 4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
*This recipe is gluten free as long as you ensure you use a gluten free soy sauce
**If you wish to give this a more ‘sesame’ flavour, add 1/2 tsp of toasted sesame oil to the sauce.
Preheat oven to 350F. In a measuring cup, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Place chicken in an oven safe dish with lid. Pour sauce over chicken.
Place covered, in a 350F oven for 1 hour. Remove lid and broil for 3-5 minutes to crisp up skin. Serve with rice and snap peas.
While this is certainly enough sauce to do more chicken, I like to pour the sauce over my rice and veg. The sauce is easy to make more of since the honey and soy are in an equal ratio, so if for example you want to do 6 or 8 thighs, you could add and additional 2 tbsp each of honey and soy, and an additional clove of garlic if desired.