I haven’t quite managed to jump on the quinoa bandwagon, but have discovered that I do prefer the red quinoa to the white variety. It seems to have a little more flavour than the white variety and it cooks up exactly the same. This is a healthy and filling supper salad. It’s even better if you make the quinoa and dressing the day before and it has a chance to really soak in, which means it makes for amazing lunch the next day
You will need:
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water (I use a little less water because it’s going to absorb some of the dressing later)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 crispy apple (I used Red Prince variety)
- 3/4 cup of pepitas
- goat cheese- I’m not putting an amount because I like a lot. Full disclosure, I even added a few more chunks after I took the photo.
- salad greens of your choice
- Not pictured – but some slices of cucumber also work well with this dressing
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive or canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- zest of one orange
- 4 tsp freshly grated ginger (taste, you may want to add more)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
- Several grinds of fresh pepper and a generous pinch of salt
Before cooking quinoa, give it a good rinse in a fine colander under running water, scrubbing it a bit with your fingers. Cook quinoa in 1 3/4 cup of water, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low for 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Fluff and remove from heat- leave uncovered to cool.
While quinoa is cooking, whisk together dressing ingredients.
In a dry pan, toast pepitas over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, shaking the pan every few minutes. You will hear some of them start to ‘snap’ and get a bit brown. They don’t all need to brown, but when they start to smell toasty they are done.
When quinoa is finished cooking and has cooled a bit, add half of the dressing to the quinoa. Let this sit for at least 10 minutes, though this could be done earlier in the day and refrigerated. Let the quinoa cool to about room temperature. (Though if you’ve made it earlier in the day or the day before and it’s cooled completely, that’s great too!)
Slice apple just before serving so it doesn’t brown.
Place salad greens in bowl, add several spoonfuls of the dressed quinoa on top of the greens. Top with apple slices, goat cheese, toasted pepitas and additional dressing.